Strategies for Inclusive Teaching Institute (SITI)
Course Capacity: 50 seats
Eligibility: All T/TT, FTT (at least 75% FTE) and adjunct faculty are eligible to apply and receive the incentive. Instructors with Assistantship titles, staff, or previous recipients of a stipend for this incentive are eligible to apply, but ineligible to receive the incentive.
The academy is an opportunity to be a part of a peer learning community that promotes instructor presence, engagement, and continuous improvement as central to the best inclusive learning experiences for students. In this “Practicing KIND” journey you will learn what some of your peers are doing to shift their teaching practices.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Define inclusive teaching and how it aligns to UTSA mission and vision to become a R1 Hispanic Thriving Institution.
- Implement inclusive teaching practices in their courses across all modalities.
- Design inclusive learning environments to promote a holistic approach for students’ wellbeing and success.
- Embrace an inclusive approach for research and service sectors of faculty work.
The hyflex course consists of a combination of live sessions and asynchronous activities. During our live sessions, you will be able to share and discuss your work in the classroom. In addition to this, you will be able to explore successful strategies for inclusive student-centered design, classroom interaction, and pedagogically sound use of educational inclusive practices through a series of video testimonials made by your colleagues.
- Tuesday, Feb 7 - 10 AM: Introduction to the course
- Wednesday, Feb 15 - 10 AM: Module 1 Explore the Foundations of Inclusive Teaching at UTSA
- Tuesday, Feb 21 - 10 AM: Module 2 Empower Faculty and Students through Inclusiveness
- Wednesday, Mar 1 - 10 AM: Module 3 Design Equity-Centered Pedagogy
- Tuesday, Mar 21 - 10 AM: Module 4 Implement Inclusiveness in All Learning Environments
- Wednesday, Mar 29 - 10 AM: Module 5 Accessibility in Inclusive Pedagogy
- Tuesday, Apr 4 - 10 AM: Faculty Panel & Wrap – Up; Deadline to submit Final Inclusivity in Action Activity
Time Commitment and Course Completion Requirements
The time commitment for this course is estimated to be 30-40 hours.
To receive the certificate of completion and the one-time incentive, you must complete the following by April 4, 2023:
- Respond to the Discussion Prompt for modules 1-5.
- Respond to the Module Prompt in Padlet for modules 1-5.
- Complete the Module 6 assignment in Blackboard.
- View all module videos.
- Attend at least one synchronous weekly discussion session.
- Attend at least one consultation session.
Incentives/Certifications upon Completion
Upon completion of all requirements, participants will receive a certificate of completion and a one-time incentive of $500.
Contact Cate Wengelnik, Teaching & Learning Consultant in the office of Teaching, Learning & Digital Transformation if you have any questions.