Spring 2021 Course Design Incentive
Modalities for our spring courses will be very similar to last fall – mostly online. As we continue to focus on flexibility and accessibility, our goal is to offer meaningful and quality learning experiences to all students. The elements of a quality course design include clear organization, well-designed and relevant learning outcomes, content and assessments aligned to the Universal Design for Learning principles, a strong instructor presence, and opportunities for student engagement.
Building quality online courses takes time, and we recognize the effort that faculty need to put into course design that prioritizes student-faculty connection. To support quality course development, Academic Innovation is offering a $500 incentive for the development of each course new to online modality this spring.
Are you eligible for the incentive? Below are the three requirements for the course design incentive:
- The course has never been offered online or in remote format before Spring 2021*
- The course meets all the criteria listed in the Online Course Design Checklist based on Quality Matters standards.
- You have not received an incentive for the same course.
*Important: Spring 2020 courses that were initially offered in face-to-face (traditional format) and had to switch to rapid remote teaching in March 2020 can apply for the Spring 2021 incentive. To qualify, the instructor of record has to be the same for both the Spring 2020 and the Spring 2021 semesters.
How do you apply for the incentive?
- Applications open on January 4, 2021, and the last day to apply is January 31, 2021.
- You must complete all course design criteria by the time you apply.
- If you need assistance with the application, contact Academic Innovation by January 22 to schedule a consultation with an Instructional Designer.
Note: By applying for the incentive, you authorize the Academic Innovation team to access your course to verify the incentive requirements.
Review Process Timeline:
Academic Innovation will review applications during February. Faculty awarded the incentive will receive a notification in March and receive the incentive payment as part of their April paycheck.
For more information, please contact AcademicInnovation@utsa.edu.