Teaching Resources Academic Innovation works in partnership with faculty and students to deliver a world-class education. The Academic Innovation team has prepared the following resources for faculty and students to create unique teaching and learning experiences for all modes of course delivery.
Embrace Flexible Learning
During this pandemic, we have learned how the class mode of delivery can change during the semester. Our team can assist you to adopt a flexible course design to deliver your teaching in all modalities.
Prepare the Online Start of the Semester
The spring semester will start virtually with most scheduled classes meeting online for three weeks. Faculty scheduled to teach a face-to-face or hybrid class can refer to the following resources to start their courses online and smoothly transition to the regular format once the COVID emergency ends.
Create Accessible Learning
Being able to access all content is a key component for student success. Consider the following resources to make sure your course is accessible despite the mode of delivery of your class.
Improved Course Design
A well-organized and intuitive course design supports student learning. Whether your course format will be impacted by the online start or not, we have prepared for you specific resources for the course design process.
Visit the System Alerts page to find out the latest on system status and maintenance.
- Phone: Call 210-458-4520 and press option 1 to access Blackboard Support anytime.
- Email: Blackboard Support can be emailed directly at email@example.com (for faster service, please use your UTSA email account)
- Self Help Portal : Live chat; create a case; access Bb knowledgebase articles (log in for full experience)
- Blackboard Support Virtual Consultation: Book a virtual appointment with a Blackboard Support Specialist for a 30-minute consultation, Monday-Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Click on the book a consultation link to get started.
Faculty Champions and Faculty Mentoring
- Faculty Champions - faculty who are experienced with teaching online and are willing to help their fellow faculty
- Faculty Mentoring - UTSA Faculty Success champions several initiatives and programs to support faculty at all stages and prepare excellent mentors to ensure that all faculty benefit from their peers.
Tools & Resources
Check Your Tech
Make sure that your computer is kept up to date and has Google Chrome for increased Blackboard compatibility. It’s free, and available for Apple's Mac OS, Windows PCs, and most mobile devices.
If you use a UTSA issued laptop or tablet, please bring it on campus and connect to our network so it can be updated. It should be noted that this process may take a few hours depending on the number of updates that need to be installed. If you require assistance, contact University Technology Solutions at 210-458-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org For more, review this list of available resources to assist with working and learning remotely.
- Include a Student Disability Services statement within your course. Consider accessibility for all students, not just those who require accommodations.
- Understand the Essentials of Course Accessibility.
- Review these Digital Accommodation Resources.
- Make sure your students know about ReadSpeaker, a free text-to-speech tool available to all Roadrunners.
- Visit Student Disability Services for more.
- Contact our digital learning accessibility experts by emailing email@example.com or dropping by during their virtual office hours.
The U.S. Department of Education recently provided guidance to schools and colleges regarding the sudden transition to distance learning due to the COVID-19 outbreak and issues of student privacy covered by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). To ensure FERPA compliance in virtual classrooms and other educational recordings, please review the following UTSA guidelines.
Easy-to-use software for recording, editing, and captioning asynchronous videos that integrates with Bb
Offers instructional and informational video production
This set of applications and services provides access to a suite of graphic design, video editing, web development and photography software. Creative Cloud Express is a great one to start with. It's an easy to use design app that allows users to easily create interactive and engaging content with minimal time and effort.
An academic integrity software solution in Bb with state-of-the-art facial detection technology and a robust suite of fully automated software. Its remote monitoring platform ensures end-to-end learning integrity before, during, and after the assessment.
- Open Educational Resources
- Online Services and Library FAQs
- Request Library Instruction and Add Librarians to Blackboard
- Faculty Course Reserve Request
- Licensed, free and fee-based streaming media you can use in your classes