Faculty Success offers resources and tools to support both Departmental and Peer Mentoring activities. Please review the following list and contact FacultySuccess@utsa.edu for additional support.
General Mentoring Resources
- Zachary, I. Z. (2011). The mentor’s guide: Facilitating effective learning relationships (2nd ed). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Kram, K, & Higgins, M.C. (2009). A New Mindset on Mentoring: Creating Developmental Networks at Work, MIT Sloan Management Review.
- Kroll, J. (2017). Requisite participant characteristics for effective peer group mentoring. Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, Vol 25 (1), 78-96.
- Allen, T.D., Eby, L.T., Poteet, M.L., Lentz, E., and Lima, L. (2004). Career benefits associated with mentoring for proteges: a meta-analysis. J. Appl. Psychol. 89, 127.
- Assembling Your Personal Board of Advisors (PDF)
- NCFDD Mentoring Map (PDF)
Mentoring Associations and Organizations
- NCFDD (http://research.utsa.edu/ncfdd/)
- Center for the Improvement of Mentored Experiences in Research (https://cimerproject.org/)
- UTSA Tenure Track Networking Club (https://www.utsa.edu/inclusiveexcellence/programs/retention/tenure-track-networking-club/index.html)
Books on Academic Mentoring
- Johnson, B. W., (2016). On Being a Mentor: A guide for higher education faculty (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Felton, P., Bauman, H-D.L., Kheriaty, A., & Taylor, E. (2013). Transformative conversations: A guide to mentoring communities among colleagues in higher education. New York: Jossey-Bass.
- Mack, D., Watson, E. D., Camacho, M. M. (Eds.) (2013). Mentoring Faculty of Color: Essays on professional development and advancement in colleges and universities. North Carolina, McFarland & Company Inc.
- Rockquemore, K. A., & Laszloffy, T. (2008). The black academic’s guide to winning tenure –without losing your soul. New York: Lynne Rienner Publishers Inc.
- Moody, J. (2012). Faculty Diversity (2nd edition). Abington, UK: Routledge.
Short Reads on Faculty Mentoring
- A New Model of Mentoring https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2013/07/22/essay-calling-senior-faculty-embrace-new-style-mentoring
- A Mentoring Manifesto https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2013/08/12/essay-how-be-good-faculty-mentor-junior-professors
- Mentoring Up: Learning to manage your mentoring relationships https://tomprof.stanford.edu/posting/1525
Scholarly Articles about Faculty Mentoring
- Berk, R.A, Berg, J., Mortimer, R., Walton-Moss, B., & Yeo, T.P. (2005). Measuring the effectiveness of faculty mentoring relationships. Academic Medicine, 80(1): 66-71.
- Bland, C., Taylor, A., & Shollen, S. (2009). Faculty success through mentoring: A guide for mentors, mentees, and leaders. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
- Chesler, N.C., Single, P.B., & Mikic, B. (2003). On Belay: Peer-mentoring and adventure education for women faculty in engineering. Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 92 (3), 257-263.
- Cho, C., Ramanan, R., & Feldman, M. (2011). Defining the ideal qualities of mentorship: a qualitative analysis of the characteristics of outstanding mentors. Am. J. Med. 124, 453-458.
- Driscoll, L. G., Parkes, K. A., Tilley-Lubbs, G. A., Brill, J. M., & Pitts Bannister, V. R. (2009). Navigating the lonely sea: peer mentoring and collaboration among aspiring women scholars. Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, Vol 17 (1), 5-21.
- Eby, L. T., Allen, T.D., Evans, S.C., Ng, T. & DuBois, D. L. (2008). Does mentoring matter? A multidisciplinary meta-analysis comparing mentored and non-mentored individuals. Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 72, 254-267.
- Jampol, L., & Zayas, V. (2021). Gendered white lies: Women are given inflated performance feedback compared with men. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 47(1): 57-69.
- Lunsford, L.G., Crisp, G., Dolan, E., & Wutherick, B. (2017). Mentoring in higher education. In SAGE Handbook of Mentoring, Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publishing.
- McGee, R., Lee, S., Pfund, C., & Branchaw, J. (2015). Beyond “Finding Good Mentors” to “Building and Cultivating your Mentoring Team.” National Postdoctoral Association: Advancing Postdoc Women Guidebook.
- Pfund, C., Pribbenow, C., Branchaw, J., Miller Lauffer, S., & Handelsman, J. (2006). The merits of training mentors. Science 311:473-474.