First Year Program
The UTSA New Faculty Academy First Year Program begins as you transition to UTSA and San Antonio. It is required of all new faculty hired at the assistant professor level and open to all other full-time faculty who are new to UTSA (including tenured and non-tenure-track positions).
Objectives of the program are to:
- provide an introduction to UTSA’s teaching and research culture;
- identify people and services to support success;
- enhance skills related to grant seeking and writing, as well as instruction and pedagogy;
- share information about institutional resources and best practices; and
- promote collaboration and community in the first year.
The first part begins in July, approximately one month before your anticipated arrival in mid-August. We will send an email with general information about orientation, but you will also be sent a link to access the New Faculty Academy page in Blackboard. Within Blackboard there are four (4) online modules that need to be completed prior to your attendance at New Faculty Orientation on August 13-14, 2020. The four modules are:
- UTSA Primer
- New Faculty Technology Resource Guide
- Designing Your Course (Module 1 of the UTSA Certificate in College Teaching)
- Introduction to the Knowledge Enterprise for Faculty New to UTSA
In addition, throughout the year you will be required to attend six (6) additional sessions that focus on teaching and research. More information will be provided later.
As a new member of the UTSA Faculty Nation, we strive to provide you with tools and resources to contribute to your success, not only as a new faculty member, but also to further your career success. We have implemented complimentary university-wide mentoring programs. New faculty members will be assigned a mentor from their department who will work with them to develop and implement a Career Development Plan which will cover short term, mid-range and long-term professional goals and monitor progress of the First Year Program. In addition, we have a Peer Mentoring Teams program which is topic based and a Tenure-Track Networking Club. All of these programs provide support, opportunities to network, and a foundation of success at UTSA. Welcome!
Questions? Contact Director of Faculty Training and Development Judy Verdon at 210-458-2994.