ACUE - Effective Teaching Practices (ETP)
Registration deadline: September 28, 2022
Course Capacity: 30 seats
Eligibility: Current Teaching Faculty with high enrollment, high DFW rate, and/or core/gateway courses. Instructors with Assistantship titles and staff are ineligible.
ACUE’s Effective Practice Framework course concentrates on effective teaching practices in face-to-face instruction. Comprehensive in scope and organized around five units with 25 modules of study, faculty members learn together in cohorts and implement approaches to design an effective course, establish a productive learning environment, use active learning techniques, promote higher order thinking, and assess in ways that inform instruction and promote deeper levels of learning.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Design an effective course to better define and achieve student outcomes.
- Apply research-based practices to establish a productive learning environment.
- Use active learning strategies that engage students in their learning.
- Use higher order thinking practices to help students think at higher levels and begin to use metacognitive skills for reflecting on their own learning processes.
- Use assessment to inform teaching, develop fair and transparent grading practices, and offer students feedback to improve their performance.
- Earn a Certificate in Effective College Instruction endorsed by ACE.
To learn more about this course please visit the ACUE’s Effective Practice Framework page.
The course is offered completely online with intermediate checkpoints offered in a hyflex modality.
The following dates are hybrid meetings where the topic will be determined based on the conversations held throughout the course.
- October 12, 2022
- November 9, 2022
- December 7, 2022
- January 18, 2023
- February 8, 2023
- March 8, 2023
- April 5, 2023
- May 16, 2023
Time Commitment and Course Completion Requirements
The time commitment for this course is estimated to be 3-5 hours a week, over the course of the Fall and Spring semesters.
To receive the certificate of completion and the one-time incentive, you must complete the following by 5/28/23:
- Complete all online modules. NOTE: Each module includes a series of readings, videos, discussions, a reflection activity, and additional resources intended to grow knowledge of effective teaching practices.
- Attend monthly cohort meetings, as outlined in the Course Calendar.
Incentives/Certifications upon Completion
Upon completion of all requirements, participants will receive a Certificate in Effective College Instruction and a one-time incentive of $1,000.
Contact Lila Jordan, a Learning Experience Designer in the office of Teaching, Learning & Digital Transformation if you have any questions.